The Musical Theater Concentration provides students with the tools they need for careers on the musical stage, while enabling them to take advantage of the many opportunities provided by Rutgers–Camden’s well-rounded liberal arts experience.
- Small class sizes mean students receive lots of personal attention.
- A faculty of seasoned professional artists who are active in their fields carefully track the progress of each student.
- Core courses provide rigorous training in acting, dance, singing, complemented by a thorough background in all areas of theater.
- Performance opportunities in fully-staged, department-presented musicals.
- Facilities include the Walter K. Gordon Theater, a state-of-the-art 650 seat proscenium house renowned for its near-perfect acoustical properties, and the Black Box Studio, a flexible, intimate performance space.
- Our proximity to the vibrant Philadelphia and New York theater scenes makes internships highly accessible.
For information about the Musical Theater concentration, contact Prof. Kenneth Elliott.
- 50:965:123 Voice for the Stage (3)
- 50:965:124 Movement for the Stage (3)
- 50:965:202 Play Reading and Analysis (3)
- 50:965:241 Stagecraft (3)
- 50:965:271 Acting I (3)
- 50:965:302 Practicum/Crew Call in Technical Theater (BA)
*At least three credits required.
- 50:965:496 Senior Project (BA)
*At least one credit required.
- 50:965:380 History of Theater I (3)
- 50:965:381 Modern Drama (3)
MUSICAL THEATER CONCENTRATION (21 credits)
The Musical Theater Concentration provides students with well-rounded training in acting, dance, and singing, complemented by a thorough general background in all areas of theater and performance opportunities in department-presented musicals.
- 50:700:131 Singing for the Stage (3)
- 50:203:201 Musical Theater Dance (3)
- 50:965:308 American Musical Theater (3)
- 50:965:371 Acting II (3)
At least one additional three-credit dance course is required
At least three credits of Applied Voice (50:701:169 Voice I or higher) are required:
Select at least one additional three-credit 300 or 400 level theater elective from any category.
50:700:161-162 Basic Musicianship I, II (2, 2)