Prospective students applying to Rutgers University–Camden majoring in the Art Program (with concentrations in Animation, Art Therapy, Graphic Design, Intermedia & Electronic Arts, Painting, Photography, or Sculpture) or the Theater program (specifically with a concentration in Design & Technology) are encouraged to schedule a portfolio review. By presenting a portfolio, students will have a chance to meet with the faculty, receive feedback on their work, and discover their potential in the program. In addition to that, candidates who satisfy the minimum requirements for university admission with lower SAT or ACT scores but a high portfolio review score will be accepted to the university and the Art Program.
There are two options for prospective first year and transfer students to present their work:
Option 1: In-person portfolio review on campus (recommended)
Option 2: Online portfolio submission
Our next Portfolio Review/Audition Day is on Saturday, December 7.
To register, please visit VMPA Portfolio Review, Music Audition, or Theater Audition Registration.
Students interested in portfolio reviews should register online. It is recommended to register in advance to reserve a desired portfolio review date.
In-Person Portfolio Review
This option is recommended for candidates residing within travel distance to our campus (NJ and greater Philadelphia region).
Prospective students should register for a review during one of our portfolio review dates. Limited number of portfolio reviews will be held during our Arts Days.
Preparing for a portfolio review:
- Portfolios should include 10 of your strongest original works (open to any medium). Choose the works that represent your intellectual process, your skills, and your openness to experimentation
- Bring a sketchbook if you have one
- Include a printout of your resume
- Transfer students should include works from their college level art classes
Online Portfolio Submission
This option is for candidates who are unable to travel to our campus for the in-person portfolio review.
Deadline for university’s Early Action portfolio submission: January 1st, 2020
Deadline for university’s Regular Action portfolio submission: February 1st, 2020
All submissions received after the Regular Action submission deadlines will be processed on a rolling basis.
To submit an art portfolio, students should email 10 images of their strongest original works and their resume to email@example.com.
Preparing materials for online portfolio submission:
- Each image must be in JPEG format at a resolution of 72dpi. Images must be no larger than 1200 pixels in dimension and no larger than 1.2 MB in size.
- In the body of the email list titles, years, mediums, and sizes for each image attached in the email. The titles of the work should coincide with the names of the attached images.
- Students’ resume should be submitted in PDF format and attached together with the images.
- In the body of the email, include your full name, home address, date of birth, anticipated concentration within the Art Program (Animation, Art Therapy, Graphic Design, Intermedia & Electronic Arts, Painting, Photography, and Sculpture) or Theater Program (Design and Technology). Also include whether you are a first year student or a transfer student.
- If you have a time-based/video work that you would like to include in your portfolio review, share a YouTube link in the body of your email. Please indicate title of the work and the year it was created.
- The subject line of the email should state “Art Portfolio Submission – your first and last name”. For Example: “Art Portfolio Submission – Pablo Picasso”.
Questions regarding Portfolio Reviews should be directed to Kate Maugeri, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do NOT send your portfolio reviews to this address. All online portfolio submissions should be sent to email@example.com.