The Acting Concentration equips students with the skills they need for careers in theater, television, or film while enabling them to take advantage of the many opportunities provided by Rutgers–Camden’s well-rounded liberal arts experience.
- Small class sizes mean students receive lots of personal attention.
- A faculty of seasoned professional artists who are active in their fields carefully track the progress of each student.
- Core courses provide rigorous training in acting, voice, movement, and script analysis grounded by a background in theater history.
- Electives in such areas as directing, playwriting, filmmaking, and design enable students to individually tailor their studies.
- Performance opportunities in our fully-supported mainstage and student-directed productions provide hands-on training. Productions range from Shakespearian tragedies to modern classics and musicals.
- Facilities include the Walter K. Gordon Theater, a state-of-the-art 650 seat proscenium house renowned for its near-perfect acoustical properties, and the Black Box Studio, a flexible, intimate performance space.
- Our proximity to the vibrant Philadelphia and New York theater scenes makes internships highly accessible.
For information about the Acting concentration, contact Prof. Kenneth Elliott.
- 50:965:123 Voice for the Stage (3)
- 50:965:124 Movement for the Stage (3)
- 50:965:202 Play Reading and Analysis (3)
- 50:965:241 Stagecraft (3)
- 50:965:271 Acting I (3)
- 50:965:302 Practicum/Crew Call in Technical Theater (BA)
*At least three credits required.
- 50:965:496 Senior Project (BA)
*At least one credit required.
- 50:965:380 History of Theater I (3)
- 50:965:381 Modern Drama (3)
ACTING CONCENTRATION (21 credits)
The Acting Concentration enables students to hone their craft in classes taught by seasoned theatrical professionals. Performance opportunities abound in the Rutgers–Camden Theater season, which includes three mainstage productions as well as student-directed and student-created work.
- 50:965:371 Acting II (3)
- 50:965:372 Acting for Film (3) or 50:965:373 Improvisational Theater (3)
- 50:965:471 Acting III (3)
Select at least one additional three-credit Literature and History elective, two additional three-credit Theater Practice electives, and one additional three-credit Design and Technology elective.